Places of Worship

1858 St. Lleurwg’s Church in Wales, Station Road
1957 St. Winifred’s Church in Wales, Penwaun (sister church to the above)
1823/2008 Nebo Welsh Congregational, High Street seating 650
1823/1974 Bethel Welsh Calvanistic Methodists, Bethel Place seating 900
New Bethel 1975 to the late 1990s, Merthyr Road
1920s Mr John Roderick’s Christian Mission held in Bethel Vestry,Bethel Place
1824/1977 Soar Weslyan Methodist, Station Road seating 400
1826/1986 Ramoth Welsh Baptists, Davies Street seating 750
1994 Ramoth refirbished – now Ramoth Chritian Centre
1866/2006 Mount Pleasant English Congregational, Harris Street seating 300
1876/1986 English Weslyan Methodists, Penyard Road seating 200
1881/1970 Tabernacle Wesh Congregational, Brecon Road seating 530
(Originally Trinity Chapel 1839/45) rebuilt 1881
1900/1985 Zion English Baptists, Foundry Road – rebuilt 1986
1966 St. Therese R.C. Church – the original church being the Mission Room off Penhow behind High Street overlooking the ironworks.
1902 The Peniel Pentecostal Mission was formed by joining with the Free Mission off Merthyr Road (1938?) probably named Jerusalem Pentecosal Church. Now house in Ramoth Chapel premises.

Original information taken from Kelly’s Directory 1926. Additional information courtesy of Mr. A. V. Jones, author of “Chapels of the Cynon Valley” & “Churches of the Cynon Valley”.

Books available from the author, Mr A. V. Jones, 3 Holly Drive, Aberdare, CF44 8PB